1/2 cup raisins
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, spooned and leveled
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup apple butter
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
1. In a small bowl, add the raisins and cover with boiling water. Let stand 5 minutes. Once plumped, drain the raisins and set aside to cool completely.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and arrange racks in the lower and upper thirds.
3. Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the apple butter, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture until just combined; stir in the oats and raisins.
5. Using a rounded tablespoon, drop the cookies onto parchment-lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart (12 per sheet). Bake until the cookies are no longer wet-looking in the center, 14 to 16 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.